The Honourable Benjamin J. Greenberg, Q.C. Chartered Arbitrator
The Honourable Benjamin J. Greenberg, Q.C., Chartered Arbitrator, former Quebec Superior Court judge, practiced business law and actively pleaded before the civil courts of Quebec before joining the judiciary. He has been an arbitrator and mediator since 1999, primarily in International and Canadian commercial arbitration matters.
In November 2013, the Honourable Benjamin J. Greenberg was admitted to the CPR “Panel of Distinguished Neutrals” (International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution) in New York, USA. He was named Queen’s Counsel in February 1976 and Justice of the Quebec Superior Court in December 1976, where he served for more than 22 years.
He is among only thirty-one Canadians recognized in “Who’s Who Legal, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers” (United Kingdom), in their 2013 publication of “The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration”.
Me Greenberg is a member of the Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Canada, which granted him the title of Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb.). Since November 1999, Me Greenberg has been a member of the International Court of Arbitration of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCC), of which he was chairman from November 2002 to October 2005, and which is the Canadian affiliate of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris. His name also appears on the list of international arbitrators and mediators of the American Arbitration Association and its international division, the International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR).
Since 2006, Me Greenberg has been an instructor at the ICDR’s annual symposium, entitled “International Symposium in Advanced Case Management Issues”.
His name has been added to the list of international energy arbitrators established under the terms of the Energy Treaty. He has been appointed as a member of the Comité de la formation d’instruction and placed on the list of arbitrators of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC). His name is also on the list of arbitrators of the Canadian Transportation Agency under the Canada Transportation Act.
Me Greenberg is recognized in many directories, including the following:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, named “2013 Montreal International Arbitration Lawyer of the Year”
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015, in the field of international arbitration
- Who’s Who Legal 100, in the field of arbitration
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2016, in the field of commercial arbitration
- The 2013 edition of the The Canadian Legal Expert Directory, as one of the “most frequently recommended” (highest score) in the field of international commercial arbitration
- The 2013 edition of Lexpert/American Lawyer Media’s “A Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada”
- The 2011 edition of Lexpert’s Guide to the Leading Canada/US Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, in the field of international commercial arbitration
- The December 2013 special edition of Lexpert’s Guide to Leading Litigation Lawyers, as a leader in his field
Me Greenberg is a member of the Quebec Bar, the Canadian Bar and the International Bar Association. He is also an associate member of the American Bar Association.
Me Greenberg was a member of the board of directors of the Miriam Home from 1970 to 2010 and president from February 2000 to December 2002.
He is a former member of the Japan Society of Canada and was a director of the Society from 1969 to 1972 and president from 1970 to 1971.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial litigation
Admission to the Bar
- Université Sorbonne, graduate program in Law, 1958
- McGill University, B.C.L. (with great distinction, gold medal winner), 1957
- McGill University, B.A., 1954
Professional activities and associations
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Canada
- American Arbitration Association
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (New York)
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Associate Member of the American Bar Association
- Canadian Superior Courts Judges Association
- Member of the International Arbitration Committee of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce
Articles, conferences and seminars
- Faculty from 2006 to 2013 at the ICDR’s annual symposium entitled “International Symposium in Advanced Case Management Issues”.
- Guest professor at McGill University’s Faculty of Law, 1995-1996