Réal W. Lafontaine MBA
Mr. Réal Lafontaine, who holds an M.B.A., has been working in the field of Human Resources and Labour Relations since 1972 and has been with DUNTON RAINVILLE since 1990.
As an experienced negotiator, Mr. Lafontaine possesses in-depth knowledge of union negotiations and structures. He has served as a negotiator at the bargaining table in the health and education sectors and as coordinator and lead negotiator for all public and para-public sector negotiations.
He has taught labour relations management, negotiations and collective agreement management at the university level. He has also sat on several boards of directors and published numerous articles in specialized journals.
Since joining DUNTON RAINVILLE, Mr. Lafontaine has managed many negotiation and labour law litigation files, primarily in the municipal arena, as well as in the private sector. He also provides support in various complex files and serves as spokesperson during collective agreement negotiations and as prosecutor before adjudicators, the Labour Relations Boards, the Tribunal administratif du travail. He also serves as a resource person in matters of pay equity and job evaluations.
He is familiar with the jurisprudence in psychological harassment matters and regularly conducts investigations and advises our clients when such allegations are made by an employee.
In addition, members of the DUNTON RAINVILLE team often seek out his extensive experience in the strategic aspects of certain complex cases.
Areas of expertise
- Collective labour relations
- Individual labour relations
- Pay equity
- Occupational health and safety
- Essential services
- Management consulting
- HEC Montréal, M.B.A., 1993
- Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), B.Sc. (Political Science), 1971
Professional activities and associations
- Member of the Réseau HEC Montréal
- Member of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Montréal
- Member of the board of directors of Collège Mont St-Louis (1993-1997)
- Member of the board of directors of the Régie des rentes du Québec (1977-1987)
- Member of the board of directors of Maison Notre-Dame de Laval (1983-1986)
- Coordinator and chief spokesperson, provincial negotiation, public and para-public sectors of the FTQ (1982-1983)
- Member of the Commission administrative des régimes de retraite et d’assurance (CARRA) (1981-1984)
- Member of the board of directors of the Commission administrative des régimes de retraite des employés du gouvernement et des organismes publics (1975-present)
Articles, conferences and seminars
- “La simulation de négociations collectives : un outil de formation”, article published in conjunction with Michel Grant in the journal, Formation et Emploi (December 1984 – January 1985)
- “La capitalisation du régime des rentes”, article published in a special section of Le Devoir newspaper (October 1984)
- Speaker at the Centre des conférences professionnelles : “La préparation des négociations dans le contexte économique actuel” (1990)
- Speaker at the Canadian Pension & Benefits Institute: “L’aide fiscal améliorée à l’épargne retraite” (1984)
- Speaker at the Conference of the Féderation des Cégeps: “L’avenir des négociations dans le secteur public” (1983)
- Guest speaker at the 37th Conference of the Department of Industrial Relations of l’Université Laval: “La protection du revenu à la retraite” (1982)
- Guest speaker at the Association des centres d’accueil du Québec
- Speaker at the Institut national de la productivité
- Speaker at the Société des professeurs d’économie du Québec
- Course instructor in the Administrative Sciences department at l’Université du Québec à Montréal: Collective Agreement Management (1987), Labour relations Management (1986), Collective Bargaining (1983-1984)