Claude Désy Lawyer, M. Fisc., FCPA, FCA, TEP, Mediator
Partner at Dunton Rainville, Claude is an experience tax and security law practitioner entrenched in the Canadian and Quebec financial communities. Participated in the establishment of several real estate investment trusts (REIT), initial public offerings and the creation of investment vehicles.
Member of the board of directors of various committees of his professional orders and of public and private companies, including twelve years as a member of the board of the MBNA Canada Bank, a subsidiary of the Bank of America. A co-founder of the tax department of the Montreal office of a Canadian national law firm and senior vice president corporate finance of a international securities broker.
A practitioner committed to the success of Quebec businesses he recently created a special committee of the Quebec Order of Chattered Public Accountants and of Finance Montréal on “The Shortage of Quebec Companies Listed on the Stock Market”. It’s purpose is to identify the causes of this situation, which impedes the growth of Quebec public entities and offer solutions to this problem to its stakeholders.
Authored of numerous articles and a speaker on taxation and financing. He made an unprecedented use of the access to the Canadian information legislation, with some 7,000 access requests to the Quebec and Canadian tax agencies, which has changed the Canadian tax practice environment.
Areas of expertise
- Corporate finance
Admission to the Bar
- Admission to the Québec Ordre of Chartered Professional Accountants – 1974 (FCPA FCA – 1980)
- Université de Sherbrooke, Master of Taxation, 1980
- Université de Montréal, LL.L., 1976
- HEC Montréal, BAA, 1972
Professional activities and associations
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF)
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP–TEP)
- Réseau Capital
Articles, conferences and seminars
- The Creation of Wealth in Quebec: The Missing Link, 2014
- The Mortgage Investment Corporation – An Alternative Lender, 2014
- New Balance Sheets and REIT’s, 2013
- New Rules for Stock Option Plans, Revue Stratège, APFF, 2010
- The New Business Corporations Act, Highlights in Canadian Taxation, CTF, 2010
- Financing Uncertain Projects, 2009
- Special Purpose Acquisition Corporations (SPACs), 2009
- Yes or No to an Income Trust, CA Magazine, 2006
- Income Trusts: Back to the Future…, 2005
- Certain Operations on the TSX Venture Exchange, Annual conference APFF, 2004
- Public Financing for SMEs, CA Magazine, 2003
- Understanding the Tax Implications of a Bankruptcy, Annual conference APFF, 2003
- Editor-in-Chief of DACFO tax and legal editor