Marie-Claude Jarry Lawyer
Me Marie-Claude Jarry was a partner at Dunton Rainville from 2001 to 2009. From 2009 to 2013, she served as General Counsel for Quebec for one of the five largest banks in Canada, where she acquired significant experience in dealing with the daily realities for bankers and the challenges and risks that Canadian financial institutions face, as well as with regards to compliance and regulatory requirements.
Me Jarry returned to the firm as a partner in January 2014. She joined the commercial law team, where she focuses primarily on bank litigation and financing, commercial law, and bankruptcy and insolvency, areas in which she has been working for over 20 years.
Her practice has led her to plead before most courts and numerous judicial and quasi-judicial bodies, such as the Court of Appeal of Quebec, the Federal Court Quebec Superior Court and the Court of Quebec, primarily in civil and commercial matters. A case that she pleaded in the first instance and on appeal was won before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Me Jarry has represented major corporations and financial institutions in numerous lawsuits, often involving fraud, and has developed significant experience in arranging guaranties, enforcing security rights, debt collection, corporate restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency and financing. She also has expertise in construction law, securities law, real estate law, estate law, environmental law and statutory penal law.
Me Jarry is sought after for her leadership and her ability to take a global view of issues and to know when it is necessary to favour alternative means of settlement. She has also participated in numerous mediation sessions and settlement conferences.
For many years, Me Jarry chaired and sat on several boards of directors, including that of the Health and Social Services Centres (CSSS) of Dorval Lachine LaSalle and the Régie des installations olympiques, to name just a few. Her contributions to these organizations were recognized and highly appreciated. She was also vice-chair of the board of directors of the Fondation Mélio in support of the Marie Enfant Rehabilitation Centre of CHU Sainte-Justine. Me Jarry currently sits on the board of directors of the Foster Foundation, the Théâtre Lac Brome and the Montreal Cavalry Institute. In December 2018, she was appointed as the first female Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel in the history of the Royal Canadian Hussars (Montreal) Military Regiment and sits on the Canadian Forces Liaison Council. She is a member of the Montreal Hunt Club, founded in 1826.
Areas of expertise
- Commercial litigation
- Civil litigation
- Banking law
- Real estate
- Corporate and commercial law
- Management consulting
- Bankruptcy, insolvency and reorganizations
- Construction law
- Individual labour relations
- Collective labour relations
Admission to the Bar
- Université de Montréal, Bachelor of Law
- Université de Montréal, honours degree in Political Science
Professional activities and associations
- Member of the Expert Committee on Governance for the Renewal of Boards of Directors of CISSS, CIUSSS and Non-Merged Institutions (May 2018 and April 2015)
- Vice president of the board of directors of the Fondation Mélioin support of the Marie Enfant Rehabilitation Centre of CHU Sainte-Justine Hospital; member of the board of directors from 2004 to 2018
- Member of the board of directors of the Régie des installations Olympiquesfrom 2009 to 2013
- Member of the Réseau des femmes d’affaires du Québec
- Member of the Credit Institute of Canada
- Chairman of the board of directors of the CSSS Dorval Lachine LaSalle from 2004 to 2010
- Chairman of the board of directors of the LaSalle reception center and CLSC from 2000 to 2004
- Member of the board of directors of the Pavillon Foster from 2003 to 2010
- Member of the board of directors of the Fondation du Centre hospitalier de Lachine from 2005 to 2009
- Member of the board of directors of the McGill Chamber Orchestra from 2005 to 2007
- Member of the board of directors of Junior Achievement Quebec Inc. from 2005 to 2007
- First vice president and legal counsel of the Information and Referral Centre of Greater Montreal from 2001 to 2003
- Member of the board of directors of the Comité patronal de negotiation du secteur de la santé et des services sociaux as a representative of the CLSCs and CHSLDs of Quebec from 1999 to 2004
- Member of the Elizabeth Fry Society of Quebec, which provides assistance to women facing the criminal justice system
- Collaborator in the establishment of the Bank of Montreal Employee Charitable Foundation
Articles, conferences and seminars
- Guest speaker at the Université de Montréal (Faculty of Law) on security interests and corporate financing (August 2018)
- Guest leader, Ton avenir en main, an organization dedicated to ensuring the future of women (September 2016)
- Speaker at the Fondation Une prospective pour visionnaires conference for members of the Association des CLSC et CHSLD du Québec and the Association des hôpitaux du Québec (April 2005)
- Speaker before the Board of Directors of the Association des CLSC et CHSLD du Québec (April 2003)
- Speaker before BMO Financial Group and Desjardins Group, various conferences on various topics